For the following reasons:
- Education is an important key to financial well-being and societal contribution.
- To reinvest and strengthen the Austin community
- To plant the seed of post-secondary education and training at an early age
- Student must be a graduate of APS/Pacelli who meets additional requirements.
- Student must be enrolled in an approved program of study at Riverland.
The scholarship amount will vary for each student. It will pay for 100% of the student’s tuition and fees that are not funded by Federal and/or Minnesota State grants or other scholarship funds. The scholarship will pay for up to 65 college credits towards an approved program of study at Riverland. There will be some exceptions for programs or majors that require more than 65 credits. In addition, students will receive a one-time stipend of up to $1,000 for required materials needed for courses.
Students must live in the Austin Public School enrollment district to be eligible for The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship.
Students will receive a pro-rated scholarship amount based on the number of years attending APS/Pacelli. See the percentages below for graduates of APS/Pacelli:
- Attend 4 years – 100% of the tuition and fees for 65 college semester credit hours not funded by grants or other scholarships will be covered.
- Attend 3 years – 75% of the tuition and fees for 65 college semester credit hours not funded by grants or other scholarships will be covered.
- Attend two years – 50% of the tuition and fees for 65 college semester credit hours not funded by grants or other scholarships will be covered.
- Attend one year – 25% of the tuition and fees for 65 college semester credit hours not funded by grants or other scholarships will be covered.
- Student must be a graduate of APS/Pacelli.
- Student must be enrolled in an approved program of study at Riverland.
Students MUST apply during their senior year. The online application form is available beginning December 1st. Students who complete the application form by March 30, 2019 and who qualify for the scholarship, will be included in the Scholarship Awards Ceremony at the high schools.
A paper form is also available in the High School Counseling Offices. Help completing the application is available in the High School Counseling Offices.
Students MUST COMPLETE THE APPLICATION PROCESS DURING THEIR SENIOR YEAR to be eligible for the scholarship. The senior year application sets the start date for the students’ eligibility. The scholarship funding is available to qualified students for up to five years after graduation. For example, a student who completed the scholarship application form in their senior year, but doesn’t enroll at Riverland right away, will still be eligible to use the scholarship for five years after high school graduation.How long will the application take?
It is estimated to take about 15 minutes to complete the form.
Is an essay or essay questions required?
No, there are no essay requirements.
No, there is no cap on the number of students who qualify for this scholarship. Students who apply, meet the requirements, and attend Riverland Community College would be awarded The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship.
1. Student must be a graduate of Austin Public Schools or Pacelli High School.
2. Students must have documented 50 hours of volunteer hours. (See "Is there a Volunteer requirement?" for more details)
3. Meet ONE of the following requirements by the end of the first semester of the student’s senior year:
- Have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 or higher.
- Have an ACT score of 18 or higher.
- Pass all courses with a GPA of 2.5 or higher in their Junior & Senior year of High School.
- Be a graduate of the Be Your Best College Prep Summer Academy at Riverland Community College.
- Have an ASVAB Score of 31 or higher. (ASVAB is an optional career assessment)
- Be in the top 75% of their graduating class and meet at least one of the following categories:
- Be a first-generation college student (meaning that neither parent has a 4-year college degree);
- Be a low-income student (for example the family could qualify for free and reduced lunches);
- Self-identify as a member of a racial/ethnic minority.
(This information is needed to qualify the student under the previous Cycles for Success Scholarship Program criteria.)
Yes, students are required to complete volunteer hours to qualify for The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship.
Students can enter their volunteer hours in Get Connected” program from United Way of Mower County.
- Volunteer work is an unpaid activity.
- Hours begin to count at the start of your freshman year.
- You must perform a service for someone other than family members. For example, chores at home, on the farm, and babysitting younger siblings do not count as volunteer hours.
- Volunteer hours may not be court ordered. (Community Service)
Required number of hours:
The Class of 2019 – 12.5 Volunteer Hours
The Class of 2020 – 25 Volunteer Hours
The Class of 2021 and beyond – 50 Volunteer Hours
- Apply to Riverland Community College if you have not been, or are not now, a Riverland student through PSEO or Concurrent Courses at your high school.
- Complete an intent to return form if you are, or have been, a PSEO or Concurrent student. You don’t need to reapply to the college.
- Schedule a time to complete the Accuplacer course placement assessment.
- Apply for FAFSA/Financial Aid starting October 1
- Attend a Financial Aid night to learn more about what types of financial aid are available and how to apply for them. These sessions are open to all APS/Pacelli students and parents. More information at: https://www.austin.k12.mn.us/ahs/Pages/counseling/counseling.aspx
- Attend a FAFSA Completion Help Session where staff will help you complete the online FAFSA application. These sessions are open to all APS/Pacelli students and parents. More information at:: https://www.austin.k12.mn.us/ahs/Pages/counseling/counseling.aspx
Yes, each student is expected to complete the FAFSA or the FAFSA Forecaster. For more information and to apply on-line visit www.fafsa.ed.gov
NOTE: the FAFSA is a free application. You should not pay to complete the form. College staff can help you do this for free.
For more information on help sessions click here: https://www.austin.k12.mn.us/ahs/Pages/counseling/counseling.aspx
- The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship is structured as last dollar funding to help students and their families pay for college (this type of scholarship is also referred to as “gap” funding). The scholarship amount will be customized for each student. It will pay the remaining tuition balance after state and federal grants and other scholarships have been applied.
- The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship will provide each student with a one-time stipend up to $1,000.00 for required books and materials.
Students must attend any Riverland Community College campus to be eligible. Riverland has campuses in Austin, Albert Lea, Owatonna and online programs.
- Yes. Applicants must demonstrate, after the first semester and all following semesters that they are making regular progress toward a degree or certification as defined by Riverland.
- The first semester that a student fails to meet Riverland’s academic requirements the student is placed on warning, allowing them an additional semester to bring their performance in line with the requirements.
- If a student on warning fails to meet the academic progress in the subsequent semester, their scholarship is placed in suspension status. The student would not receive the scholarship the next semester. The scholarship can be reinstated if the student demonstrates that they have met all the academic requirements of The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship and Riverland’s program requirements. The scholarship would be reinstated prospectively.
- The scholarship is only available for five years following the student’s graduation from APS/Pacelli unless interrupted by military service.
- Students honorably discharged from military service within five years of graduation from APS/Pacelli will have the scholarship available to them for three years following the student’s honorable military discharge.
Students can attend Riverland part-time or full time with The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship.
No, there is no application fee for Riverland Community College.
- Funds are disbursed to Riverland Community College in the name of the recipient beginning with the fall semester for qualified APS/Pacelli graduates.
- Funds continue to be available to all students who graduate from APS/Pacelli that meet the eligibility requirements up to completion of an Associate’s Degree (AA, AS, or AAS) or certification program, but no more than 65 credit hours subject to review on a case by case basis (i.e. certain degrees or programs require more than 65 Credit hours for completion).
- The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship is available for five (5) years after high school graduation.
There is no deposit required to secure enrollment.
The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship is designed to provide funds for up to 65 Semester credit hours or up to five (5) years after graduation, whichever comes first. The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship funds are only available IF AN APPLICATION IS COMPLETED DURING A STUDENT’S SENIOR YEAR.
The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship will be available as determined by The Hormel Foundation.
If you have additional questions after going through the website and reading this information, please feel free to contact us thru this website (preferred) or at:
The Hormel Foundation Austin Assurance Scholarship
401 3rd Ave. NW Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 460-1900